Blog Archive

Friday, March 12, 2010

Psalm 83-90: Free Among The Dead

Cliff Burton Graveyard Cross Images


Psalms 88:5   Free among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand.

This verse contains a phrase that I find really challenging as a Christian.  The phrase is "Free among the dead".  When I read this verse I think of the many days that I have lived with no concern for those around me that are condemned to a fiery eternity because they have not believed on the Lord Jesus Christ.  Yes, I was aware of the fact that they were there.  I was aware of the fact that they need to be told about the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.  I was aware that the Scripture declares that they are dead in sins and trespasses.  I just didn't feel any obligation to do anything about it.  I had plans but I just wasn't doing anything at that moment.

It seems easy for those of us who are Christians to live our lives with a sense of freedom among the dead.  Let us pray that God would make our responsibility for the dead among which we live a constant part of our lives.  Let us realize that we do not have the freedom to walk among the dead without warning them and pointing them to Christ as the source of life.

Daily Devotion:  Proverbs 12

No comments:

Post a Comment